Ballast water management systems must be type approved in accordance with IMO Guidelines prescribing rigorous tests in land-based dedicated test-facilities and in a ship board treatment installation – as well as environmental tests in an accredited laboratory.
Ships intending to discharge ballast water in US waters must comply with USCG regulations. USCG ballast water discharge criteria are the same as for IMO compliance. However, type approval procedures differ and dual type approvals will be necessary for most systems.
Bawat is committed to meeting all IMO and US Coast Guard regulations for ballast water treatment. The Bawat BWMS is certified as follows:
- IMO BWMS Code Type Approval by LR - October 2019
- USCG Type Approval – Expected Q4, 2019
- IMO Type Approval by DNV-GL - October 2014
- US Coast Guard AMS - February 2015
- IMO Type Approval by BV - May 2015
- ABS Design Assessment – June 2015
Ex certificate for hazardous area
Ballast water management systems installed in hazardous areas must be EX-certified. Bawat BWMS is EX-proof compliant for hazardous area operation in marine and offshore installations.